Lots of Medieval recipes call for a spice blend called powder fort. This seems to have been a “house blend”, and so varied enormously. This is my interpretation.
I have swapped out some harder to find ingredients with related species or similar tasting ones (which seemed pretty reasonable).
Flavour-wise, it’s kind of Christmas-meets-Moroccan? Very good, whatever it is.
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice